How this recipe came about: I had some pumpkin pie mix left over in the refrigerator after making this oatmeal recipe and I was laying in bed and it hit me….I need to make Pumpkin Pie Ice cream! Even though Fall has arrived here in the South it is still HOT, so ice cream is fair game pretty much year around. I know, lucky us!, right? 🙂
Keeping extra bananas in the freezer is a must at our house. We love to pull them out to snack on by themselves, eat them with granola, throw them in a smoothie or make Ice Cream!
To make this ice cream all you need is just a couple of minutes and few ingredients. No ice cream maker needed! I whipped mine up in less than a minute using my Vitamix, but you could also use a food processor. The trick to making it in the Vitamix is making sure to use your tamper. After all of your ingredients are in the Vitamix and the lid secure, turn it on high and use the tamper to push the bananas down into the blades. In less than a minute you will have smooth, creamy, thick ice cream!
To make things even better this ice cream is dairy free, gluten free, and soy free!
- 2 cups of frozen bananas (in chunks)
- 2 1/2 tbsp of canned organic pumpkin pie mix
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup of unsweetened coconut milk (I used So Delicious)
- 1/8 cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips (reserve some for sprinkling on top)
- Place all of the ingredients in your Vitamix.
- Secure the lid and turn it on high.
- While blending use your tamper to push the bananas down into the blade.
- If you need to stop the blender and use a spatula to scrap down the sides to make sure all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Blend until smooth, it only takes about a minute.
- Enjoy immediately or put in an air tight container in the freezer to have later!
- Could also be topped with maple syrup, honey, or pecans, etc.