I really, really love Mexican food. I love that cheesy goodness. Up until a few years ago I seriously made quesadillas for lunch 4-5 times a week. I’m a reformed quesadilla-holic, but we still go back from time to time. The best quesadillas we’ve ever made a home are of the bbq and chicken variety. It’s chicken, cheese, onions, cilantro, and a bit of bbq sauce. So simple, yet so good. I try to eat as much cheese as I used to, but this is my go to meal when I’m feeling cheesy
We took our quesadillas to the next level this time with our homemade whole wheat tortillas. They were so fresh and soft. I was worried that they might be a tad too soft to fold over in a quesadilla, but it worked perfectly. We also use our own homemade bbq sauce in the quesadilla and for dipping.
The key to good quesadilla-making is preparation. The cooking process goes quickly, so make sure that you have everything you need organized and ready to go.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 lb of Mexican quesadilla cheese (or your choice)
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 C cilantro, chopped
- 1 C bbq sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil (for chicken)
- 4 tbsp olive oil (for quesadillas)
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute chicken in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook until temp reaches 175F.
- Let chicken cool slightly and chop into chunks, about 1 inch square.
- Heat nonstick pan over med-high heat. Add about 1/2 tbsp olive oil and spread around pan.
- Place tortilla in pan and cover with cheese.
- Sprinkle on red onion, chicken, and cilantro. Drizzle with bbq sauce.
- Cook until cheese is mostly melted, then fold over. Continue cooking until tortilla is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and slice each into 3 pieces. Serve with extra bbq sauce for dipping
- We used our own bbq sauce (http://savedbythekale.com/favorite-homemade-barbecue-sauce/) and whole wheat tortillas (http://savedbythekale.com/homemade-whole-wheat-tortillas/)