I really, really love Mexican food. I love that cheesy goodness. Up until a few years ago I seriously made quesadillas for lunch 4-5 times a week. I’m a reformed quesadilla-holic, but we still go back from time to time. The best quesadillas we’ve ever made at home are of the bbq and chicken variety. It’s chicken, cheese, onions, cilantro, and a bit of bbq sauce. So simple, yet so good. I try not to eat as much cheese as I used to, but this is my go to meal when I’m feeling cheesy 🙂
We took our quesadillas to the next level this time with our homemade whole wheat tortillas. They were so fresh and soft. I was worried that they might be a tad too soft to fold over in a quesadilla, but it worked perfectly. We also use our own homemade bbq sauce in the quesadilla and for dipping.
The key to good quesadilla-making is preparation. The cooking process goes quickly, so make sure that you have everything you need organized and ready to go.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 lb of Mexican quesadilla cheese (or your choice)
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 C cilantro, chopped
- 1 C bbq sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil (for chicken)
- 4 tbsp olive oil (for quesadillas)
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute chicken in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook until temp reaches 175F.
- Let chicken cool slightly and chop into chunks, about 1 inch square.
- Heat nonstick pan over med-high heat. Add about 1/2 tbsp olive oil and spread around pan.
- Place tortilla in pan and cover with cheese.
- Sprinkle on red onion, chicken, and cilantro. Drizzle with bbq sauce.
- Cook until cheese is mostly melted, then fold over. Continue cooking until tortilla is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and slice each into 3 pieces. Serve with extra bbq sauce for dipping
- We used our own bbq sauce (http://savedbythekale.com/favorite-homemade-barbecue-sauce/) and whole wheat tortillas (http://savedbythekale.com/homemade-whole-wheat-tortillas/)