Let’s be real. Real time with Aunt Jen (it could be a weekly talk radio call-in show). I love Thanksgiving. Everyone I know loves Thanksgiving, no denying that. Everyone makes a big deal out of how thankful they are for everything they have and their family and friends and yada yada yada. I get that, and I’m really thankful too… but people REALLLLLLLY love Thanksgiving because of the awesome eats. If we didn’t have such great traditional foods associated with Thanksgiving then it wouldn’t be nearly as significant a date on the calendar.
When you think about Thanksgiving what immediately comes to mind is lots and lots of delicious turkey, dressing (stuffing for you non-southerners), cranberry sauce (it’s not Thanksgiving without it) and awesome sides dishes. This week on Saved by the Kale we’re going to go full-Thanksgiving with a different dish daily. First up is this totally decadent and delicious version of macaroni and cheese that Jim cooked up over the weekend at our little pre-Thanksgiving dinner.
This is definitely cheese-overload, so it’s perfect for a splurge-occasion like Thanksgiving. It’s got 3 kinds of cheese, including a smoked gouda that adds a terrific smokiness. We also learned a little trick from Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion and added a little basil to the crust on top to put it over the top.
- 6 oz smoked gouda, sliced
- 7 oz extra-sharp cheddar (white or yellow), sliced
- 1/2 C grated parmesan
- 5 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 6 oz pasta
- 1/2 pint cream
- 1/2 stick butter
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- While pasta is cooking start making the sauce. Over med-high heat, in a large pan melt butter and add cream. Add cheese and whisk constantly until incorporated and smooth. Check for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Add pasta to sauce and stir to combine. Transfer to a baking dish if needed.
- Top with grated parmesan and basil. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Any type of short pasta will work here. We opted for rigatoni.
- You can use any cheese that you want.