I knew when I went on this elimination diet that I was going to have to come up with some good alternatives for that something sweet that I love to have at night. These date bars were just that. It’s funny that up until about a year ago I have never even tasted a date and now I buy them in bulk and use them almost daily. They are nature’s candy and just perfect.
These bars are sweet, but have no added sugar and they have a slightly salty crunchy top and bottom with a soft chewy center. You can store them in the refrigerator or the freezer but I prefer the freezer, they are more firm that way. I love grabbing one for a quick breakfast or snack. It is so important for me to have some healthy options around for when a craving hits so that I won’t open the pantry and eat all the chocolate. 🙂 No seriously, it has happened!
If you are looking for a healthy dessert that does not contain gluten, dairy, soy, sugar, or eggs and only takes about 10 minutes to make then do your self a favor and make these today!
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 1 1/2 cups Organic Brown Rice Crisps
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups of Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper or foil.
- Using a food processor pulse the oats and brown rice crisps together until finely ground.
- Add in the chopped dates, coconut oil and salt and process until a dough is formed.
- Set aside 1 cup of the dough to use as the topping.
- Line the baking dish with the rest of the dough, using your fingers to gently press the dough down into the bottom of the pan.
- For the filling, combine all of the ingredients into the food processor and process until everything is broken down.
- Spread the filling over the crust evenly, then crumble the rest of the topping on the date filling using your fingers to gently press down.
- Then cover and place the bars in the freezer for an hour and then enjoy! Store the bars in the freezer.