We love carving a couple of pumpkins each year for Halloween and now that our girls are getting a little older they are enjoying it too. Well actually they both think it is disgusting reaching in to the pumpkin to pull out the seeds and the flesh. They are a little grossed out by it. Luckily Jim and I don’t mind. He scoops out the flesh and I work on separating the seeds so I can roast them up to have as delicious healthy snack!
Really the most tedious part of the process is separating the seeds from the flesh, once you’ve done that it’s a piece of cake. You will want to rinse the seeds off, and then place them on a paper towel and blot them dry. What I do is leave mine on the paper towel on the counter overnight so they can dry out.
The next day they are ready for roasting! I decided to do something a little different with mine this year. In the past I have made sweet ones using cinnamon and sugar. I’ve also made savory ones using different seasonings, and I have also made spicy ones. This year I decided on making Honey Roasted Pumpkin Seeds! I couldn’t wait for these to come out of the oven so I could taste test… they had the entire house smelling so good!
They tasted even better than they smelled, I had to stop myself from eating them so I would have some left to photograph! These are sweet and savory at the same time. The best of both worlds. They are naturally sweetened with honey, so no refined sugars here!
Why eat pumpkin seeds? Pumpkin seeds are incredibly good for you. They are packed with magnesium, zinc, and omega 3’s. They are rich in healthy fats, antioxidants, and fiber and they taste delicious! They are definitely the perfect fall snack.
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp of honey
- 1 tsp of coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Separate the pumpkin seeds from the flesh.
- Rinse seeds and put them on a paper towel and blot dry.
- Let them air dry overnight or for a few hours.
- Once they are dry, put them in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Add honey, coconut oil, and salt to the bowl and stir all together.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil.
- Pour the seeds onto the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Once they come out of the oven sprinkle with a little more sea salt, let them cool and then snack away!!!